Welcome to Haggerston School Library!
The library is located at the heart of the school and offers a pleasant, bright and spacious environment for both pupils and staff. It is a vibrant space where people can come together to access information, share ideas, read and above all learn. Promoting literacy and reading for pleasure are key objectives for Haggerston School, and the library plays an important role by inspiring curiosity and a love of reading.
The Haggerston school library aims to:
- Provide a welcoming, supportive and stimulating environment for all library users.
- Facilitate and promote reading for pleasure and encourage pupils to become independent and enthusiastic readers at all levels.
- Support the delivery of targeted and meaningful reading interventions by monitoring Accelerated Reader engagement.
- Complement and support the curriculum by providing access to a wide range of up to date resources.
- Ensure pupils are fully equipped to find the information they need to support and enhance their research and personal development skills.
- Support students and teachers with learning across the curriculum.
Monday 9.00 – 16.45
Tuesday – Friday 8.00 – 16.45
Lunch Time Clubs 12:55 – 13:30
After School Clubs 15.30 – 16:30
The library has a well-stocked collection of classic, contemporary and award-winning fiction which is regularly refreshed. There are non-fiction books across a range of subjects and textbooks to support the curriculum. You will find popular autobiographies, comics, graphic novels and manga along with poetry and short stories for junior, teenage and adult readers.
There are reference and fact books such as dictionaries and encyclopedias. We have an amazing collection of careers and UCAS resources. There are computers and chromebooks available for lessons and self-study as well as comfortable seating and cosy reading nooks .
- Students can borrow up to 2 items for up to 3 weeks.
- Items may be renewed up to three times unless reserved by another user.
- Staff can borrow up to 5 items.
Go to the library catalogue to browse or search for a book, see the latest arrivals or reserve a book or read book reviews. Borrowers are responsible for all items borrowed and if they lose or damage anything, it must be paid for or replaced. Students should never take books out on behalf of anyone else.
Eclipse Library Catalogue
At school, at home, wherever you are…
Eclipse is the library management system used by Haggerston school library. The Eclipse library catalogue can be easily accessed in school or from home to search for books and online resources. The pupils and staff can check what books they have out, review the books they have read, and also reserve books. Click here to access.
Eclipse enables users to:
- Search for and find the location of the resources kept in the library using author, title or keyword.
- Access e-books through the library system and find information about books in the school library.
- Discover what Accelerated Reader books are in stock.
- Upload personal book reviews onto the site and read reviews added by other students.
We run a Student Librarian scheme with volunteers from Year 7 upwards who provide invaluable support each break and lunchtime. Student Librarians are a real asset to the library. They support in organizing library events and displays. Help in issuing books, returning books to the shelves and recalling overdue books.
If you are interested in becoming a Student Librarian please collect the student application form from the library. Applications can be handed in at any point during the year, however new applicants are sought specifically in January each year.
Get in touch, keep in touch
The Library is run by Ms Ruby Samy- Librarian (Monday to Friday)
Ms Vandana Verma – Library Assistant (Tuesday to Friday)
For any queries, suggestions, information on library resources or online resources contact at email@example.com
Library Activities and Events
The school library aims to foster a lifelong love of reading and learning. Throughout the year, the library holds a number of themed activities and events to promote literature, reading and a passion and enthusiasm for learning. The pupils are encouraged to join in various reading-related events. These include:
- An annual Reading Week filled with an array of fun book-related events, including a World Book Day celebration.
- Regular author visits
- Participation in Shadowing the Carnegie Medal with attendance at Carnegie Day – a day of reviews, presentations, discussions and celebrations with students from other schools.
- Roald Dahl themed competitions, quizzes and activities to celebrate “Roald Dahl Day”.
- Scholastic book fairs, special themed events and film screenings.
- Monthly Spelling Competition
Lunch-time and after school clubs include various fun and educational activities like:
- Book Talk
- Budding Reporters Club
- Reading Club
- Homework Club
- Book Craft Club
- Board Games Club
- Writers Club
The Haggerston library encourages all year groups to take part in these events. The activities are designed to inspire students to actively engage with the world around them, to explore new subjects and topics and, most importantly, to have fun!
Who said the library is boring? Certainly not our library – come and explore the fun!