If you have unanswered questions about joining Haggerston School, please click here to visit our Admissions and Transitions Questions page.
Transition to Secondary School
** First day of school for Year 7 is Tuesday 3rd September 2019 **
Welcome to New Students of Haggerston School
Welcome to Haggerston School and thank you for choosing us as the secondary school for your child. We are delighted that so many new children will be joining us in September 2019 and we would like to take this opportunity to sincerely welcome you as a family.
The next five academic years will be a major chapter in the life of your child and we are absolutely committed to making this period as special and purposeful as possible, maximising, where we can, the well being and life chances of all the young people within our care.
The Journey Starts Here
The journey we take with your child begins now. There is much that we can do now to prepare the way, both practically and emotionally, so that your child will find the transition from primary school to secondary school as exciting and stress free as possible. This page will outline some of the opportunities that we offer you as a family and we hope that you will feel able to contact us if there is anything that worries or concerns you in the coming months.
Opportunities to Meet Us
It is extremely important that we become familiar faces in the life of your child over the next few months and there will be a number of important opportunities for us to meet your children, both within their own school setting, but also when we invite them, and you, to join us at Haggerston School. These dates are outlined below.
Meeting the Children
Staff from Haggerston School will be visiting almost every child in their Primary/Junior School from mid-June to meet the children and to answer any questions about the transition process and life at secondary school. Haggerston School has a good relationship with its feeder Primary schools and many of the children starting in September will have already attended enrichment activities at our school over the past year.
On Thursday 4th July 2019 your child will attend Haggerston School for the full day to experience school life, meet their new form tutor and fellow tutees. We provide a lunch on that day. Don’t forget to send your child with a pencil case and a bottle of water. The transition team will contact you again nearer the date to confirm some logistical information.
There will be two evening meetings for pre-induction:
Monday – 17th June 2019
Tuesday – 18th June 2019
During these meetings, we will go through our expectations for students at Haggerston School. You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions and discuss the school as a whole. You should have already received communication about how to pre-book one of these dates.
Special Educational Needs – Coffee Morning
If you are a parent/carer with a child who has special educational needs then you will be invited to attend a coffee morning on 25th June where you will bring your child to Haggerston School and meet staff from the Inclusion Department. During the morning the children will be able to experience some of the activities on offer within the school, whilst you have an opportunity to talk to the staff who will be supporting your child from September. Please note this session is by invitation only, and you will be contacted individually by the Inclusion team.
Students who attend the coffee morning are also expected to attend the transition day on 4th July.
Attendance – 1st day of Term in September
Year 7 students will start school on Tuesday 3rd September at 08.30am. School will be open to year 7, 11 and 12 only. All year 7 students are expected to attend, the school has high expectations regarding attendance and the first day of secondary school is a very special day in your child’s education.
If you are not clear about any of the details outlined in this section, please do not hesitate to contact the transition team on the number below or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Uniform Stockist
We are making arrangements for the school uniform shop to be available at the parents evening providing you with the opportunity to view the uniform. Haggerston uniform is currently only available from Cross Bow Schoolwear, 31 Broadway Market, London E8 4PH. Tel: 0207 923 9313
School Clothing Grant
To qualify for this grant your child must be in year 7 or starting year 7 from September. You must also be in receipt of one of these benefits or tax credits:
You can apply from May onwards after you receive the secondary school offer letter from the Learning Trust’s Admissions Team. Your application will normally be processed in May/June. The grant is £100 Clothing vouchers which can be exchanged for school uniform at London shops that take part in the scheme. A list of shops will be sent to you with the confirmation letter telling you when to collect your vouchers.
If your child currently gets free school meals at a Hackney school, you do not need to attach any proof of benefit.
You can download the form here
and return the form to Pupil Benefits, Hackney Learning Trust, 1 Reading Lane, London, E8 1GQ.
Free School Meals
Around 40% of people in Hackney are eligible for free school meals, but 1 in 5 do not apply. Once your child has a full-time school place you can apply for free school meals if you receive one the following:
Asylum seekers need to provide their IND Letter or IND Card, social services letter or their NASS letter in order to qualify for free school meals.
For more information, visit the Hackney Schools website here or complete the Free School Meals application form which can be downloaded here and return the completed form to Pupil Benefits Team, Hackney Learning Trust, 1 Reading Lane, E8 1GQ
How To Get To Haggerston School
- View Map of Haggerston School, Hackney
- BUS Weymouth Terrace – 26/48/55
- Nearby – 67/149/242/243/394
- RAIL Old Street then bus – 55
- Liverpool Street (Bishopsgate exit) – TUBE Bethnal Green then bus – 26/48
- TUBE Hoxton, London Overground
Email address for Haggerston School Transitions team: Transition@haggerston.hackney.sch.uk
Our home/school agreement:
Haggerston School will bring alive our school values and beliefs by:
- Valuing and nurturing your son/daughter, respecting their background and supporting his/her individual learning needs.
- Striving for excellence by setting the highest standards and highest expectations so that your son/daughter has the opportunity to succeed at school and beyond.
- Tracking your son/daughter’s learning and progress and keeping you informed at regular intervals.
- Offering opportunities for you to become involved in the life and learning of the school.
- Celebrating your son/daughter’s success and that of the school.
We ask that Parents/Carers support us by:
- Attending Parent’s evening and discussions about your son/daughter’s progress.
- Making sure that the school has up-to-date contact information
- Contacting the school about concerns that might affect your son/daughter’s learning
- Supporting the school’s policies and guidelines for learning and behaviour.
- Supporting your son/daughter in homework and other learning opportunities.
- Checking and signing the diary each week to ensure that homework is completed.
- Come to school each day on time.
- Bring all their equipment every day.
- Wear the correct uniform to and from school and follow all the uniform rules.
- Complete their class work and homework as well as they can.
- Be polite and respectful to all staff and students.
- Strive to achieve certificates and rewards.
- Attend detentions and appointments with staff on time.
- Follow the code of conduct of the school.