The focus of A-level Music is on providing a contemporary, accessible and creative education in music with and integrated approach to the three main elements – performing, composing and appraising. We encourage students to broaden their musical horizons and understanding with areas of study that are designed to inspire and challenge them.
Music GCSE grade 6 and above. We would like external candidates to do an audition with their instrument of choice.
What will I study?
In addition to continuing your performance and compositional development, you will look at the following areas of study:
- Instrumental music of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven
- Popular song: Blues, jazz, swing and big band
- Instrumental jazz from 1910 to the present day
- Religious music of the Baroque period
- Programme music 1820 to 1910
- Innovations in music from 1900 to the present day
The key features of the assessment include:
- A performance component – a non-exam assessment completed during the course
- A composition component – a non-exam assessment completed during the course
- An examined listening and appraisal component sat at the end of the course