Product Design GCSE
You should choose Product Design if:
- You want to participate confidently and successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- You want to learn about the wider influences of Design and Technology including historical, social/cultural, environmental and economic factors.
- You want to solve real problems by designing and making products or systems.
In this ever evolving world, Design and Technology equips you with the tools to be an effective communicator, problem solver and creative thinker. Not only are these skills applicable in daily life, but they are also fundamental aspects and traits present in careers found in a wide variety of industries. Some of these careers include Product Design/Development, Aerospace Engineering, Architecture, Interior Design, Surface Design, Fashion Design, Automotive Design, Computer Aided Design, Furniture Design, Clothing/Textile Technology and Animation to name but a few.
You will study:
- Technical Principles
- Designing and Making Principles
This will allow you to develop knowledge and understanding of Design and Technology, its impact on daily life, and develop a broad understanding of materials, systems and processes. Each of the above areas are divided further. The in-depth focus of this GCSE will be on polymers and timbers.
How will you be assessed?
There are two components, a written paper and a Non-Examination Assessment.
The written paper is a mix of short answer, structured and extended writing questions assessing candidates’ knowledge and understanding of:
● technical principles.
● designing and making principles along with their ability to analyse and evaluate design decisions and wider issues in design and technology.
The Non-Examination Assessment is a sustained design and make task, based on a contextual challenge set by Eduqas, assessing candidates’ ability to:
● identify, investigate and outline design possibilities.
● design and make Textiles prototypes.
● analyse and evaluate design decisions and wider issues in Design and Technology.
|This will consist of:|
|Component 1||Design and Technology in the 21st Century||Written Paper||50%|
|Component 2||Design and Make Task||NEA (Non-Examination Assessment)||50%|